These are great cookies to make in stages. One day, shape and bake the cookies. Cool completely and freeze in a tightly covered container up to one month ahead of time. Another day, thaw, frost and decorate the cookies.
Yield: 30 Cookies
- 1/2 roll (16.5-ounce size) refrigerated sugar cookies
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 4 to 6 teaspoons lemon juice
- Green food color
- 30 small candy canes
- In large bowl, break up cookie dough. Add flour; mix with hands until well blended. Shape dough into 10-inch log; wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove Dough from freezer. Flatten dough down center with handle of wooden spoon. To form boot shape, with fingers, flatten one side of log until about 3/4 inch thick. Cut log into 3/8 inch-thick slices; place on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with fingers.
- Bake 8 to 11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar, butter and enough lemon juice for desired spreading consistency. In another small bowl, reserve 1/3 of frosting; add green food color and blend well. Place green frosting in a resealable food-storage plastic bag; cut off one small corner of bag.
- Frost cookies with white frosting. Place small amount of white frosting along bottom edge of each cookie; attach candy canes to form “skate blades,” breaking off portion of tip on curved end, if necessary. With green frosting, pipe laces and bows on skates.